Tuesday 22 February 2011

University peer mentoring program

I attended another training session today, although this one was more intense; 0900-1700. Augh, it's definitely hard to sit at a desk and listen to people tell you what you already know for a whole day. Reminds me of some of the first year subjects about professionalism and communication... Anyway, I digress. As I said in my earlier post, this mentoring program is for first year university students that may be finding it difficult transitioning into university life.

I'm excited for this program, but in a different way from the middle school program. In this one, I'll have my own group of five students that I look after for the whole semester. We meet once a week and talk about how things are going and I give them guidance and whatever they need to help them get along in uni. It's the program's first year, so it will be interesting to see how it works without have the guidance of previous mentors to help us. However, I'm sure if things go to plan, it will be very helpful to the first-years (as myself and others would have definitely benefited last year). I'm also sure it will help me with my social skills and teaching skills (only a little, as we're not actually allowed to teach them things). The main thing is that it will look good on my resume, and also counts towards a La Trobe award.

On a side note, I got my guide books and things from Murdoch University today for my chemistry and physics subjects. I can't access any of the course work until the 26th though. Exciting!

Just can't wait to start!

7 comments:

  1. That's a pretty cool problem,similar to something I did in high school, but I couldn't get any awards /:
    Best of luck though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome man, sounds like you're really stoked, good luck with the program and good luck with the courses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodluck with the training man. I can imagine how hard it can be to sit there for so long (my biology class is a pain at 40 min already!)

    You have my support man. Keep it up. Will be looking forward to the next post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good program. Although I have no real problem with the academic side of university, moving into halls of residence has been an odd experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the hard work, it will eventually pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do you get energy for this? Ritalin?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah, just motivation, which I'm sure will fade mid-semester. On the topic of having energy to do things, Corrin and I just got back from the gym and I'm bloody exhausted

    ReplyDelete