Sunday 20 February 2011

So busy at work... not really.

So I work at the local hospital as an "Operating Room Assistant". This basically consists of cleaning and setting up the operating theatres in the morning, positioning and moving patients for surgery, setting up and use of surgical equipment and cleaning up after surgery. I enjoy the job, as it gives me insight into what I'm studying, and I have access to a whole host of nurses and doctors to ask questions about things I want to know.

For the most part, things are pretty busy. Lots of running around and organising things and making sure things run smoothly. Sometimes we even get the big emergencies when people are dying and all that and it's loads of fun. But sometimes, namely on weekends, it's just slow, so slow in fact, that we sometimes don't even do a single case for the whole day.

Today is one of those days. I've literally been sitting around, then getting up and trying to find something to clean, then sitting back down, then getting up and mindlessly wondering around the suite. It's just SO boring and it makes the day go by so completely slow. I suppose I should appreciate it though, sometimes when people call in sick and you've got twice the work to do... shit you wish it was slow.

Anyway, I'll finish off with a thought. One of the doctors I was talking to last week said that when you go into a lecture, it's better to just put down the pen and paper and sit back and really try and listen and understand what your professor is saying. He said that if you spend all of your time madly trying to write down the exact words coming out of his mouth, you'll never take anything in. I'm thinking of trying this technique this year to see if I retain lecture information any better. It should work out pretty good anyway, because the university provides us with lecture printouts anyway that basically have all the information we need on them. Any other university students out there, what do you think?

Edit: Haha, just as soon as I posted that, one of the surgeons came in to book a case for this afternoon.

11 comments:

  1. It is a cruel cycle, haha. The slow days seem to pass unbearably slow and its just so boring. I would recommend bringing a book but that might just bore you to death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, I did bring a book today, but alas, I finished it about 2 hours into the shift. I've spent the last couple of hours reading through an anaesthesia textbook though, so... yeah, still bored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just part of life!

    But I just read your blogger profile and I'm happy for you man. It takes guts to do what you did, and survive through an insanely difficult move like that (I only moved a few hundred miles from my hometown at that age =P). Anyways, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it hard to work and study at the same time? Where do you get the time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelby, yeah it was hard. It's the time in your life when friends are extremely important, so to leave all of mine and come to a place where people make fun of the way I talk was really hard to get through, but I managed!

    PekkaK, yeah, it does get hard sometimes. I work 20 hours a week and am at uni for about 20 hours a week, so if you look at it like that then it's kinda like full time work. However, that doesn't include the 40-60 hours a week I spend at home studying and doing assignments, so I guess it is shitloads. I don't really know where I get the motivation, I suppose I just really want to prove people wrong and become a doctor. My fiance and family are great too, they are all very supportive, so are most of the people at work. It also helps that my fiance fills my social bar up (sims reference), so I don't really have to spend too much time socializing.

    So yeah, stressful, but I handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post, it must be really stressful

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm compelled to take notes, its like an instinct, idk if i could stop

    ReplyDelete
  8. Meghan, I think I may feel the same. I've always taken a lot of notes, as I'm afraid that I would miss out on important information if I didn't.

    I'll be sure to be posting how it all goes though, so keep checking back throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always have done the non-note taking method, just out of laziness really. I have to say, it doesnt really work too well... I'd definitely take notes, just quick ones!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually copy down main points, and look up more detailed information later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I fortunately have a wife who fills my social bar too. Waiting for your next blog impatiently!

    ReplyDelete